Monday, July 28, 2008

Our Little Garden is Growing!!

Back in late May and early June, I decided that I wanted to make a little garden in the back yard to grown some veggies. I got the kids in on it too and after hours of digging up little decorative stones we finally got our garden planted on June 7. We have (from left to right) a strawberry plant, 4 lettuce plants and two english cucumber plants.

I thought I would take an update picture to show everyone how the garden is doing. You'll notice that one lettuce plant is missing and one is a runt. The missing one, I ate..teehee, it was yummy. The runt, I'm probably going to take out so the others can grow.


I also took some separate pictures of my veggies!!







This is my lettuce being attacked by the cucumber plant.











This is the biggest cucumber we have. That is Cody's hand beside it so you have an idea of the size it is.







I totally can't wait for them to be fully grown so that we can sit and enjoy the fruits (or vegetable I guess) of our labors!

Next year I want to have a bigger garden so that we can plant different kinds of vegetables. I think it's great to work together on something like this and then to be able to eat the products. The kids also get to learn a lot of new things!! Actually, I learn new things too.

2 comments:

Christi said...

awesome!! Ive never grown lettuce. Ill have to try that next year :)

Anonymous said...

Cucumbers need lots of room to grow. When you plant them you need to make a mound of dirt and plant them in the middle, you also have to have nothing else around for at least two feet.


Jeff said he didn't know that either so he would have planted stuff around it too. I said you wouldn't have planted anything period.