Saturday, July 19, 2008

I'm Sewing!!

I got my new Janome sewing machine a couple weeks ago. I was so excited that I just wanted to make something....but what to make??? While on holidays in Newfoundland, I saw a summer dress in a store that I just had to have. Well, I never made it back to the store and come home dressless. I decided that the dress can't be that hard to make...so off I went to the internet to look for a tutorial on shirring.

I found it and it looked easy enough so I gave it a try and made a dress for Mia. I think it looks pretty darn good for my first attempt at shirring. Believe it or not, the material is actually two quilting squares. They were just the right size for her and as always, covered in ladybugs!!

So when I noticed that Fabricland was having a massive 50% off everything in the store sale, I decided that I would go a head and make a dress for me too.

Mine was harder to make then Mia's but I think it was because there was so much more fabric and it seemed to be just everywhere. After lots of hand winding bobbins with elastic thread and the stupid things unraveling again.... I managed to get 20 rows of shirring on to my fabric.

The dress isn't actually very flattering on me, but I made it on my own and it's comfy and I think it looks pretty darn good.

The fabric that I used is kinda special to me in a way too, since Charly helped me pick it out.