Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Last Time for a First Time


When I first had children, I often for myself asking "when will he walk?" "when will she talk?" "when will he be toilet trained?" and I was always happy when they achieved those milestones, and many others.

But when it's my youngest child I'm talking about...it's not that easy to be happy when she passes all her firsts. Afterall, this is the last time for the first time. There will be no more first words in the house, no more first steps. And now, no more first times for pee-ing in the big girl toilet.

Tonight Sydney, at the age of 2 years 6 months and 3 days...peed in the toilet for the first time. Though I am super excited about not having to change or wash diapers anymore (and I'm sure that's still a while off), it's a little sad. My baby is soon not going to be a baby anymore.

You always want your children to grow and learn and flourish, but when it's the youngest...it's harder to let go....harder to watch them grow up and learn new things.

So yes, I was happy to hear that Sydney had peed in the toilet and I congratulated her...but I also cried...cried for myself and for my little baby girl that is not quite a baby anymore.

1 comment:

Lisa Thornbury said...

Awww, I know how you feel. That mixture of joy and sentimental sadness. Hard to put into words but you did it well. :) Thanks.